Welcome to the Photoflare user manual. This is information aimed at end users to help understand how to use the current features in the application.
Table of contents
- Creating a new image
- Opening files
- Resizing images
- Cropping images
- Adjusting hue
- Add/Edit text
- Batch processing/Automation
Images are created by using the New file dialog. This can be accessed via "File >> New...", the toolbar button or keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+N).
- The top area shows the preview of dimensions in pixels. (Important if you are using Cm/Inches below)
- The bottom area allows you to select the width, height, unit to use (Pixels,Cm,Inches), Background colour and Preset size.
Open files with the Open file dialog. This can be accessed via "File >> Open...", the toolbar button or keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+O).
Resize images with the Image size dialog. This can be accessed via "Image >> Image size...", the toolbar button or keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+H).
This has similar options to the new file dialog. One new option here is the "Lock ratio" option. This will keep the ratio of the image intact if you change the width/height.
To crop an image use the PointerTool (first tool in the palette). Left click and drag to select an area to crop. Right click to bring up the context menu. Select the "Crop" option.
Create selections on an image. Selections can then be used to copy a section of an image or crop to the selected area.
Pick a colour from an image and set this colour as either a primary (left click) or secondary colour(right click).
Select areas of an image using edge detection.
Draw lines on an image.
Fill large areas on images with either a primary (left click) or secondary colour(right click).
Spray colour within a radius in a spread pattern.
Standard paint brush with basic brushes.
Advanced paint brush
Advanced paint brush with more options and artistic brush types.
Clone a section/area of an image and use it as a stamp.
Blur parts of an image by holding left click and moving the radius to areas you need to blur.
Basic eraser tool to remove your painting mistakes.
Smudge pixels together using the radius of the tool while holding left click.
Launch the Hue Variation dialog. This can be accessed via "Adjust >> Hue Variation...". You can adjust either the hue via "Colorize" or "Hue" option.
Launch via the toolbar button. Easily create gradients via the Gradient dialog. You can select the gradient colours, direction and what type of gradient you would like. Gradients can be created on new images or applied to existing images.
To add text to an image use the Text dialog. This can be accessed via "Image >> Text..." or via the toolbar button..
Launch via "Tools >> Automate/Batch..." or via the toolbar button.
Add your source files and set the output folder
Adjust image size or canvas size
Adjust brightness, contrast, saturation or gamma correction
Apply any of the available filters
Rotate or flip
Final summary screen - Click Ok to confirm
The Preferences dialog contains all of the settings for Photoflare's features. They are separated into sections to make them easy to understand.
- Opening folder - Default folder when opening files.
- Remember previous opened folder - Always set location to the previously opened directory.
- Saving folder - Default folder when saving files.
- Remember previous save folder - Always set location to the previously saved directory.
- When you click save .png will be selected by default.
- Choose a format to select by default when you click save.
Example of compression dialog when saving .jpg files.
- When saving .jpg files you will get a dialog to choose your compression level.
- If you prefer you can set your default compression. This option will not show the dialog but save your file with the compression value selected.
- Multi Window Mode - Toggle between MDI and Tabs.
- Default Toolpalette Location - Show the toolpalette on the right/left.
- Zoom direction - Decides the zoom behaviour of the mouse scroll.
- Default units - Choose the units you prefer to work with. This will be selected by default on the New file dialog/resize dialog.
- Memorize parameters - If enabled your parameters entered on all dialogs will be memorized.
- Image history size - Set how many undo steps you want to allow.
- Language - Pick your language. (EN, FR, NL, DE, TW_ZH, CZ)
- Maximize on startup - Always maximize when application starts.